MINUTES OF THE EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEETING

HELD BY VIDEO CALL ON Sunday 14th February 2021.

Members

Finance: Glenn Taylor – Course: Robert Garn

 Chair: John Giles

Minutes of the last meeting.

The minutes from the last meeting were agreed.

Action Points:

  • Mr Garn to explore the sale of the redundant gravel bander:

Mr Garn explained that there are a number of seriously interested parties, but the current lockdown is preventing the sale. ONGOING

 Economic Resilience fund:

Mr Giles confirmed that the application was accepted and the sum of £9000.00 was awarded. (Completed)

  • Mr Shepherd to examine bar opening hours and explore other means of delivery draught beers to the pump. ONGOING

 Mr Giles to review the complaints procedure and meet with the outgoing and incoming Captains to explain their responsibilities.

Finance Report:

The issue of neighboring clubs offering refunds to members for lack of golf throughout 2020 was discussed. Mr Giles felt that Brynhill is a member owned club and as such the members collectively were responsible for the running of the club, Brynhill is not a private business giving refunds to its customers. Mr Taylor agreed and made it clear that with the renewal date fast approaching and membership numbers for the coming year unknown, it would be irresponsible to take a gamble on how many renewals we would have, he felt it far more sensible to take the “wait and see” approach for 2021 with the assurance of looking again towards the end of the year at possible concessions into 2022. Mr Taylor did make a suggestion of removing the charges for lockers and trolley store for 2021 but both Mr Giles and Mr Garn felt that would be imbalanced as not all members would benefit. It was however agreed that due to the likely COVID restrictions on sharing buggies, the cost to members would be reduced to a break even cost of £5.

Mr Taylor explained that he was in the process of writing an end of year financial report to the members, which would be circulated at the start of March.

Greens Report:

Mr Garn explained the need to take green staff off furlough completely as preparations for the coming season need to get under way. The committee agreed this was a priority and it was decided that would happen from Monday 22nd February.

Mr Garn requested he be allowed to hire a woodchipper once all the cuttings has been completed as it would reduce the number of hours spent moving waste quite considerably. A cost of £400 was agreed.

Staff training was discussed in particular the need for a qualified chemical spay operator. It was agreed that once training courses are reopened Matt Borges would be enrolled.

Clubhouse Report:

No report:

Chair Report:

Mr Giles confirmed that the amendments to the new Constitution was just about completed and that he hoped to have it sent to the club solicitor in the coming week.

Mr Garn brought up the need for clarity on what is deemed as Major Structural Changes to the Golf Course as Stated in paragraph 10 of the 2020 constitution. Mr Taylor outlined the history behind the inclusion of the paragraph and the reasons why it was so important to be included. Mr Giles understood the term to mean anything which changed the way a hole or the course was played. He gave the example of the course map which indicated tee’s, greens, ditches, bunkers, prominent trees and OOB, any alterations which would require the map to be changed would constitute a major structural change, anything else within reason is routine and planned maintenance.

Mr Garn brought up the need for a more robust complaints procedure and sited previous incidents which he felt were not dealt with in a proper manner. Mr Giles explained that under the new management system, complaints and indeed, club discipline falls under the remit of the Club Captain and that the EMC would only get involved where cases are deemed too serious or the Captain or his committee were involved or as part of an appeal process.

Mr Giles promised to undertake a review of the process and liaise the with outgoing and incoming captain with regard to their responsibilities.

Any Other Business

There was no other business.

**************************************************************************

MINUTES OF THE EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEETING

HELD BY VIDEO CALL ON Sunday 15th January 2021.

Members

Finance: Glenn Taylor – Course: Robert Garn

Chair: John Giles

Minutes of the last meeting.

The minutes from the last meeting were agreed.

Action Points:

  • Mr Garn to explore the sale of the redundant gravel bander:

Mr Garn explained that there are a number of seriously interested parties, but the current lockdown is preventing the sale.

  • Economic Resilience fund:

Mr Giles confirmed that the portal was opened on Friday morning and the Brynhill application was submitted. 

Mr Shepherd to examine bar opening hours and explore other means of delivery draught beers to the pump.

 Mr Garn questioned the size of the agreed plot of the bungalow and whether we had lost some land. Mr Giles will make enquiries and report back.

Mr Giles confirmed that the additional land had been valued by an independent valuer and purchased from the club with committee agreement.

Finance Report:

The committee discussed the current finances of the club and the need for extreme care in the timing of un-furloughing staff.

An idea had been proposed by the club professional of raffling a year’s membership. All agreed that this was a good idea and to be actioned once some normality is resumed.

Mr Giles brought up the subject of fee’s for next year. All agreed that to increase fee’s after the lack of golf brought by COVID would not be appropriate. It was therefore agreed that fee’s would remain unchanged into 2021 across all categories and that the incentive offered to members who paid their fee’s early last year would carry over.

Greens Report:

Mr Garn and Mr Taylor confirmed that they together are preparing the application to extract water from the spring located near the third tee. The application process is expected to take 3 months.

Mr Garn reported that he had completed the application to recruit 2 new staff members through the government kickstart program. He expected to hear the outcome by mid-February.

It was agreed to un-furlough staff to turf the lady’s 16th tee as opposed to seeding it to ensure it is ready for the new season. The timing will be weather dependent.

Mr Garn requested he be allowed to hire a large dumper truck to clear the area around the greens shed.

This was agreed and Mr Giles agreed to assist Mr Garn to speed up the task.

Clubhouse Report:

No report:

Chair Report:

Mr Giles brought up the matter of the AGM. After discussion it was agreed that the AGM be postponed to a more suitable time in the year. In the meantime, the incoming Captain would take up post on the 17th March 2021. Under the new arrangement, the captain will appoint his own committee to assist him during his year in post

Any Other Business

Mr Taylor reported that he had offered the club as a possible vaccine site to the necessary authorities and is waiting to hear their response.

***************************************************************************

MINUTES OF THE EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEETING

HELD BY VIDEO CALL ON

 Sunday 20th December 2020.

Members

Finance: Glenn Taylor – Course: Robert Garn

 Chair: John Giles

Minutes of the last meeting.

The minutes from the last meeting were agreed.

Action Points:

  • Mr Garn to explore the sale of the redundant gravel bander:

That and the unwanted boiler are both up for sale on ebay.

 Mr Garn to undertake an audit of the Health and Safety practices of the green staff.

This is underway but will take some time to introduce SOP’s and change the relaxed culture of the greens staff.

  • Economic Resilience fund:

Items and quotes are now in place and ready for the portal to reopen.

 Membership incentive: 

  • This has been actioned but with the current national lockdown, no one is joining a golf club. The incentives will remain in place.
  • Mr Shepherd to examine bar opening hours and explore other means of delivery draught beers to the pump.

Finance Report:

No report:

The committee discussed the financial management of the Club during lockdown. It was decided to utilise the government furlough scheme to save the Club much needed funds to sustain it through what is likely to be a difficult winter and spring. All staff to be put on furlough, however Matt Borges would become flexible furlough, working 3 hours Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, inspecting the course and mowing greens.

Greens Report:

Mr Garn reported that the removal of the tree’s from behind the ninth green and greatly improved light and airflow. He will begin replanting tree’s currently on the old second green in the spring.

Mr Garn brought a suggestion to the table of turning the area behind the 5th tee into a car park for those who tee off the back nine. This would be explored further next season.

Clubhouse Report:

No report:

Chair Report:

Mr Giles brought a suggestion from the club professional to introduce a new category of 30-35 to cushion the pain of the large increase in fee’s. This was discussed at length but it was agreed that the introduction of such a category would not be well met by the membership, many of whom have their own financial restrictions.

Any Other Business

Mr Garn questioned the size of the agreed plot of the bungalow and whether we had lost some land. Mr Giles will make enquiries and report back.

****************************************************************************

MINUTES OF THE EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEETING

HELD AT THE CLUBHOUSE ON  Monday 23rd November 2020.

Members Clubhouse: Darren Sheppard – Finance: Glenn Taylor – Course: Robert Garn

 Chair: John Giles

 Also Present:Club Auditor: Brian Phillips

Minutes of the last meeting.

Not applicable

The chair opened the meeting by congratulating the members on their appointment and outlining the difficulties and hard work that was ahead of them all.

A discussion took place on the formulation of a full set of rules governing the EMC and the need to bring up to date the club’s constitution. This will initially be actioned by the Chair and Finance Officer.

It was agreed that a monthly meeting will take place where all topic’s discussed at various times throughout the month will be formally discussed and recorded.

No reports were able to be made at this time, but discussions took place covering each department.

Action Points: Nil

Finance Report:

Mr Taylor asked for agreement that the auditor have unrestricted access to the bar and greens account balance sheets to accurately audit both departments. This was agreed by both parties.

Discussions took place over government resilience funding and Mr Taylor was to revisit this once the Economic Resilience Fund portal reopened.

Greens Report: 

Mr Garn to undertake an audit of the health and safety practices within the Greens department, Mr Sheppard previously developed these practices is to pass over all relevant documentation and SOP’s.

It was also confirmed that the winter program set out by the outgoing chairman of greens and course manager would not be affected by the change in management structure.

Mr Garn explored the prospect of selling/trading the redundant gravel bander in favor of more useful machinery. Mr Garn explained that a gravel bander on blue clay type of ground will not work, the committee agreed that this avenue should be explored.

 Clubhouse Report:

 It was agreed that Mr Sheppard would re-visit the bar opening hours by analysing turnover. He would also look at a more efficient means of delivering draught and bottled beers to the customer, as opposed to pumping it from the cellar.

Mr Sheppard brought up a government employment kick start scheme where employees can be recruited, and their pay subsidised by the government. This scheme is to be explored initially for additional green staff.

Chair Report:

 Mr Taylor, highlighted that we were approaching the time when other clubs membership renewals take place and that new member initiatives need to be discussed. Mr Giles, agreed to take that away and look at it.

Mr Giles explained that the club’s way of operating was outdated at best and needed reorganising and modernising. He explained that this will be a gradual approach and not a revolution, but procedures needed to be formalised and followed.

Any Other Business

 Mr Phillips raised the question of the monies previously raised by way of a levy and ring fenced for greens improvement. Mr Giles, stated that he would seek and answer and report back.